What is a BID?
A Business Improvement District or BID is responsible for creating a vibrant, clean and safe district. The BID delivers services and improvements in addition to those provided by the Village or Town, and working with the community allows the BID to be a powerful voice for their district. The members of the Webster BID consist of commercial property owners and their tenants within a defined geographic area on and connecting to East and West Main Street as well as North and South Avenues.
The Webster BID has the following mission:
“To help create a positive and welcoming business atmosphere within our community to enhance the community’s overall perception of the Village and to help foster economic stability and growth”
The BID is involved with:
Street Cleaning and Maintenance
Public Safety and Hospitality
Advocacy and Capital Improvements
Marketing and Events
(BID services are additive to those provided by the Village or Town. By law, Village and Town services cannot be reduced because a BID exists).
Each BID is run as a not-for-profit corporation with a Board of Directors. Elected by members of the district, the Board must include property owners, merchants, residents and representatives of local elected office. The Board is in charge of making key decisions about programs and services, budget, goals, policies and staffing.
The BID is funded from a nominal property tax within the designated boundaries of the district, revenue from sponsorship of BID events and ad revenue from yearly publications.
What does the Webster BID do with the funding?
· A large part of our yearly expenditures goes to funding Village Events (sponsored and unsponsored) to expose the greater Webster and surrounding community to the Village’s businesses. The events include: Movies in the Park, Friday Night Concerts, Jazz Festival, Wine Walks, Trick or Treat Trail, and our White Christmas Festival. These events bring tens of thousands of visitors to the village every year from a wide and varying demographic to experience many of the positive features of our business community.
· The BID offers a Loan Program to its members to borrow up to $2,000 interest free for store improvements, seasonal inventory funding and/or general business needs.
· The BID joins with the Village of Webster, the Town of Webster, the Webster Central School District, and the Webster Chamber of Commerce to form the Webster Economic Development Alliance (WEDA) which meets to help coordinate economic development throughout the community.
· Funding from the BID goes to street enhancements such as seasonal planters and flowers.
· Publications like the WebsterBID.com website, a Facebook page and yearly events program help to promote the village businesses, events, sponsors and programs offered within the district.
The BID welcomes feedback and volunteers for any of the organized events so feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com or attend one of our monthly meetings. You’re also welcome to sign up for the BID Newsletter to be updated on future meetings, events and changes to the Village.